Apostolic Christian Forum

Where Apostolic Christians (Anglicans, Catholics, Othrodox, etc). can fellowship

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome please read the rules before you register. Thank you

Share | 

Looking Ahead to 2013: What Should the Church Expect?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hansc

PostSubject: Looking Ahead to 2013: What Should the Church Expect?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:27 pm

"If you do not make assumptions about the future, then you are not leading. Good leaders constantly assess the cultural climate. In other words, they do research. Good leaders are also willing to change their assumptions. In other words, they are flexible. Holding firm to assumptions from the Y2K era is about as relevant as giving a set of Pokemon cards to your kids this year for Christmas.
So at the end of every year, I pause to challenge my underlying assumptions of what I believe the future holds. Vision is a key to leadership, and the nature of vision requires an assumption of what will happen in the future. Therefore, you cannot lead unless you are thinking about the future.
In a recent article about Ford Motor Company, the head of their trends and futuring department revealed several assumptions about the coming year. Though Ford is trying to determine consumer demand for automobiles three years in advance, their research is valuable to the church because they are assessing global trends within sociology, economics, technology, and politics, among others.
So what trends should the church expect to help define the cultural climate of 2013? More specifically, what assumptions do people have about. . ."

thomrainer
Back to top Go down
Historyb
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking Ahead to 2013: What Should the Church Expect?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:35 pm

I think Evangelicalism will more and more become less prevalent as many are becoming interested in how the Church really worshiped in the Early Centuries and I think American center of Christianity may decline somewhat

Love the forums!
Love the forums!

PostSubject: Re: Looking Ahead to 2013: What Should the Church Expect?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:00 pm

Evangelicalism or evangelism? Evangelism is all but dead now anyway. People don't care enough to share their faith anymore. Churches only seem to care about numbers. We build million dollar facilities that we use twice a week. We're not interested in the unwashed masses. We only want to attract pretty people with money. In short we have become callous. I expect these trends will continue among "mainstream christianity".
Back to top Go down
hornoftruth
Banned
Banned

PostSubject: Re: Looking Ahead to 2013: What Should the Church Expect?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:03 pm

I'm afraid you speak the truth, brother. Sad.

Titus wrote:
Evangelicalism or evangelism? Evangelism is all but dead now anyway. People don't care enough to share their faith anymore. Churches only seem to care about numbers. We build million dollar facilities that we use twice a week. We're not interested in the unwashed masses. We only want to attract pretty people with money. In short we have become callous. I expect these trends will continue among "mainstream christianity".
Back to top Go down
BeyondBlessed
Love the forums!
Love the forums!

PostSubject: Re: Looking Ahead to 2013: What Should the Church Expect?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Historyb wrote:
I think Evangelicalism will more and more become less prevalent as many are becoming interested in how the Church really worshiped in the Early Centuries and I think American center of Christianity may decline somewhat

I sort of agree.

You know I grew up in a contemporary church. The service was kind of formal. People dressed up and it was more of an orchestra up front than a rock band, but it was still very "low-church" worship style. My church now worships in many ways even though our main service is contemporary. We have a traditional service early in the morning and simple acoustic worship on weeknights. I went to the traditional service for Christmas and my mom couldn't understand why I wanted to do that. She says it's depressing and the organ music and liturgy makes her feel like she's at a funeral. That seems to be a generational thing. Even when they're targeted at young adults and young families the flashy, typical evangelical service seems to only appeal to baby boomers. The young adults seem to be drawn to the acoustic services where worship is led by one guy with a guitar and the "sermon" is more of a discussion between the small group of worshipers, and for the young families just coming back to church they prefer the traditional, "high-church" format. I think they also want to move away from the feel-good, self-centered prosperity gospel and get back to the social gospel.

For the record, I was talking about evangelicalism.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking Ahead to 2013: What Should the Church Expect?   

Back to top Go down

Looking Ahead to 2013: What Should the Church Expect?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1