Apostolic Christian Forum

Where Apostolic Christians (Anglicans, Catholics, Othrodox, etc). can fellowship

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome please read the rules before you register. Thank you

Share | 

Interesting insights of the Christmas story

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JesusLovesYou

PostSubject: Interesting insights of the Christmas story   Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Reminded thru my pastor this past weekend hearing the Christmas story that God pronounced the coming of John the Baptist. You don't hear about this story much during Christmas. It's interesting how God used John. He didn't have to. He used so many to pronounce Christ's coming beforehand, and yet this is the way He chose to bring Jesus forward. Look at the life of John the Baptist. We don't hear much about his life thru Jesus 30 years before His ministry really takes off. What was he doing all that time in the desert? Without all the distractions of the world. God was preparing John for His ministry, and when he came out, he preached on repentance. This was a blessing to reflect on.

Are there any insights to the Christmas story God has you pondering this year?
Back to top Go down
otherone

PostSubject: Re: Interesting insights of the Christmas story   Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:07 pm

One thing that struck me after watching the news for the past three days is how the people of Bethlehem must have felt when Herod killed all the kids under two. Woke up in the middle of the night from a really disturbing dream about it.
Back to top Go down
http://sam.evans.org
HisDaughter
Love the forums!
Love the forums!

PostSubject: Re: Interesting insights of the Christmas story   Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:41 pm

My first thought after hearing of the 20 children dying was that of when Herod killed all those babies. The heartbreak of those then and now. Yet we have a hope beyond the life on this earth. This earthly body is fragile but our soul is forever.
Back to top Go down
HighBeams
Active
Active

PostSubject: Re: Interesting insights of the Christmas story   Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:16 pm

I ponder the shepherds who received the angel's announcement and witnessed the heavenly host praising God. The first thing they did when the angels left them was to decide to go into Bethlehem to see this miraculous baby. It's obvious that God desired them to go see His son and to begin spreading the news to the people around them. But what about the sheep they watched? Sheep are totally dependent upon their shepherds. They cannot be safely left alone on the hills, especially at night. The shepherds didn't seem to give a second thought to their wooly charges. After all, they'd heard the stories about the promised Messiah, and I cannot fault them for their total excitement in going to find Him after such a stunning announcement. Neither do I believe that God discounted the sheep on those hills. IMHO, while the shepherds went in diligent search of the Lamb of God, God Himself was watching after the sheep that the obedient shepherds left on the hills. I don't believe any harm or disturbance came to those sheep while their shepherds were on their mission from God.

So what's so important about this little detail? Well, for me personally, this belief gives me the peace to give my various "sheep" responsibilities into His hands when I believe that He's given me a task to perform. There's no need to make excuses about "Well, I can't do (fill in the blank) because I have to (fill in another blank)." Neither is there any need to stress out over the "important blank" that I'm not doing because I'm doing "God's blank".

The old saying goes, "The devil is in the details", but I don't believe that. I know that my God is the One who is smack-dab in the middle of my details! For that, I say, "Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!"
Back to top Go down
Titus
Love the forums!
Love the forums!

PostSubject: Re: Interesting insights of the Christmas story   Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:56 am

One thing that always comes to mind for me is the incredible weight of responsibility that Joseph must have felt to be be father to the Son of God, and I often wonder why there is so little in the scripture about him; literally nothing after the story of Joseph and Mary losing Jesus at the temple. Did he die? Only God knows.
Back to top Go down
Historyb
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Interesting insights of the Christmas story   Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:16 pm

I know there is some traditions about Joesph I'll see if I can find it.

PostSubject: Re: Interesting insights of the Christmas story   Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:22 pm

No matter how bad we think it is, God is still here, still near, still sees what's happening. There is such hope in the story from long ago to Adam & Eve, to Jesus coming, the Crucifixion to now. Look how long God has been patiently pursuing us to come to Him. Do we grasp this every Christmas? O my soul wants Him to come now out of my own selfish heart & timing, and the sparing of my own children, yet He is so patient that all may come to Him. And we know ALL will not. I'm at the end of my road. Yes, there's so much more to do & go & see in this life, but truly I feel done. If it were not for God's spirit in me, I am dead, done...finished. There are days I feel so defeated by this world & I know that's the enemy. Hope truly is all we have to live for as believers, to die for as Christians, to pursue as God's own.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting insights of the Christmas story   

Back to top Go down

Interesting insights of the Christmas story

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1