Apostolic Christian Forum

Where Apostolic Christians (Anglicans, Catholics, Othrodox, etc). can fellowship

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome please read the rules before you register. Thank you

Share | 

Mayans

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JesusLovesYou

PostSubject: Mayans   Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Well, it's not the first time someone has made a prediction of the end of the world & it didn't turn out. I thought this article some interesting background of the Mayans, as well as some questions? Why would anyone want to believe in such a people to consider such a prediction? Jesus said no one knows the day or the hour, and studying Jesus life He is one of integrity & truth. People want to believe what they want to believe, or they are deceived.

http://www.gotquestions.org/questweek.html

Question: "What is the year 2012 Mayan prophecy?"

Answer: The ancient Mayans, in their “Long Count” calendar, had December 21, 2012, as the end of the calendar. This “end” of the Mayan calendar leads to many different interpretations. Some see it as nothing more than a reset, the beginning of a new cycle. Others see it as the date for the end of the world (or at least some type of universal catastrophe). So, what is the Mayan Long Count calendar, and does it have any relation to the end of the world?

The Mayans developed their own calendar (The Long Count) ca. 355 B.C. They were able to use their observations and mathematical prowess to calculate the future movements of stars across the sky. The result was that the Mayans discovered the effect of the earth’s wobbling as it spins on its axis. This wobbling rotation causes the stars’ movements to drift gradually in the sky (an effect called “precession”) in a 5,125-year cycle. The Mayans also discovered that once every cycle the dark band at the center of the Milky Way (called the “Galactic Equator”) intersects the Elliptical (the plane of the sun’s movement across the sky).

During the year of the intersection, the sun reaches its solstice (a brief moment when the sun’s position in the sky is at its greatest angular distance on the other side of the equatorial plane from the observer) on December 21 for the Northern Hemisphere and June 21 for the Southern Hemisphere. At that time, the solstice occurs at the same moment of the conjunction of the Galactic Equator with the Milky Way. The year this occurs (in relation to our Gregorian calendar) is A.D. 2012, and happened last on August 11, 3114 B.C. With Mayan mythology teaching that the sun is a god and the Milky Way is the gateway to life and death, the Mayans concluded that this intersection in the past must have been the moment of creation. Mayan hieroglyphs seem to indicate that they believed the next intersection (in 2012) would be some sort of end and a new beginning of a cycle.

All the so-called “Mayan prophecies of 2012” are nothing more than wildly speculative extrapolations, based on the yet-uncertain interpretations by scholars of Mayan hieroglyphs. The truth is that, apart from the astrological convergence, there is little indication that the Mayans prophesied anything specific regarding the events in their distant future. The Mayans were not prophets; they were not even able to predict their own cultural extinction. They were great mathematicians and accomplished sky watchers, but they were also a brutally violent tribal people with a primitive understanding of natural phenomena, subscribing to archaic beliefs and the barbaric practices of blood-letting and human sacrifice. They believed, for example, that the blood of human sacrifices powered the sun and gave it life.

There is absolutely nothing in the Bible that would present December 21, 2012, as the end of the world. The Bible nowhere presents the astronomical phenomena the Mayans pointed to as a sign of the end times. It would seem inconsistent of God to allow the Mayans to discover such an amazing truth while keeping the many Old Testament prophets ignorant of the timing of the events. In summary, there is absolutely no biblical evidence that the 2012 Mayan prophecy should be considered a reliable prediction of doomsday.

Also included in the ancient Mayan prediction that December 21, 2012, would be the end of the world are the following theories: our sun is a god; the sun is powered by the blood of human sacrifice; the creation moment occurred at 3114 B.C. (despite all evidence that it happened much earlier); and the visual alignment of stars has some significance for everyday human life. Like every other false religion, the Mayan religion sought to elevate the creation instead of the Creator Himself. The Bible tells us about such false worshipers: “They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator” (Romans 1:25), and “since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – His eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse” (Romans 1:20). To accept the Mayan 2012 prophecy is also to deny the clear biblical teaching about the end of the world. Jesus told us, “Of that day and hour no one knows, no, not the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father” (Mark 13:32).

Recommended Resource: Understanding End Times Prophecy by Paul Benware.
Back to top Go down
otherone

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:22 pm

i know several people who have looked deeply into the Mayan writings and nowhere do they talk about the end of the world....... However they do say that at this time the Bolon Yokte Ku would return at the end of this 13th Baktoon.

There are many other old pagan civilizations that are predicting their old gods will return this month. Even the Cherokee Indians. The Chinese IChing thing goes nuts on the 21st and doesn't recover...... and the Hindu's also are looking for one of their gods to return, and the Zohar which is part of the Kabbalah says that the Jewish Messiah will return in the Jewish year 5773 which started at the new moon is September.

We know that the Bible tells us that we don't know when the Lord is returning, but we do know the season, and I don't know anyone who doesn't think the end is approaching..... even my non believing friends sense something is up....

I'm not really super bothered with all the hype, but I do have one thing nagging at me and I've even dreamed about it...... that is why in the world did the devil tell so many different sets of his people to be looking for those old fallen angel gods to return over the nest short period of time.....

Like I said, I'm not worried about it but it's something I'm having trouble not pondering over.
Back to top Go down
http://sam.evans.org
Hansc

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:23 pm

Interesting post.
Back to top Go down
Hansc

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Quote :
why in the world did the devil tell so many different sets of his people to be looking for those old fallen angel gods to return

No doubt this is part of the enemies end of days strategy. I think we are in for some turbulent times.
Back to top Go down
BeyondBlessed
Love the forums!
Love the forums!

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:48 pm

They didn't predict the conquistadors, so why give this any thought?
Back to top Go down
otherone

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:50 pm

BeyondBlessed wrote:

If it were just the Mayans I wouldn't bother with it at all. If the pope dies this week, it will get my attention though.

I asked some folks the other day (might have even been you all) if it is possible that so many people could get so worked up over it that they could actually cause some kind of thing to come about spiritually??
Back to top Go down
Hansc

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:21 am

otherone wrote:
BeyondBlessed wrote:

If it were just the Mayans I wouldn't bother with it at all. If the pope dies this week, it will get my attention though.

I asked some folks the other day (might have even been you all) if it is possible that so many people could get so worked up over it that they could actually cause some kind of thing to come about spiritually??

We'll see, it's a short time. While I do believe that 12/21 will pass like any other day, I also believe that the End of Days and Christ's return are close and we will experience a time of great upheaval, although not necessarily linked to a Mayan calendar.
Back to top Go down
SherryW
Active
Active

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:04 am

Could it be part of the great deception maybe?

I don't think it's coincidence that fallen angel gods told all those civilizations to be looking for them during this time. If they do appear, I wouldn't doubt a lot of sleeping sheep might just accept them as truth.

I just wonder if this would be the thing that if it were possible, even the elect would be deceived by false Christs and false prophets. (Matt 24:24)
Back to top Go down
otherone

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:58 am

i would think that by January the first we would know if the old ones had returned. Sherry you might be right about being part of the great deception....

I also agree that December 22 is likely to come and go for there is much prophecy left to be done; but that question still nags my mind..... and I think that bugs me that it won't go away.
Back to top Go down
Hansc

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:58 pm

otherone wrote:
i would think that by January the first we would know if the old ones had returned. Sherry you might be right about being part of the great deception....

I also agree that December 22 is likely to come and go for there is much prophecy left to be done; but that question still nags my mind..... and I think that bugs me that it won't go away.

I think you guys could be right about the deception part. It's like the boy crying wolf, after so many false alarms, people start believing the wolf will never come. But then one day the sheep are taken.

I've also read a few of the Tom Horn books and understand his interpretation of these things, but we shall see--------soon.
Back to top Go down
otherone

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:47 pm

i know that Tom is as anxious as the rest of us to see what happens.

Personally, we have a lot of vacationing to do over the next few years, and unless the Lord is coming for us I'd like to see it all put off for a couple or three generations..
Back to top Go down
BeyondBlessed
Love the forums!
Love the forums!

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:51 am

You guys aren't going to believe this, but I just looked at my calendar and it ends on December 31. Could the Mayans have been off?

Oh, and there's this.
http://rt.com/news/maya-apocalypse-re-scheduled-616/
Back to top Go down
HisDaughter
Love the forums!
Love the forums!

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Awww ya mean I am going to miss Christmas. Mad
Back to top Go down
Historyb
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:46 pm

BeyondBlessed wrote:
You guys aren't going to believe this, but I just looked at my calendar and it ends on December 31. Could the Mayans have been off?

Oh, and there's this.
http://rt.com/news/maya-apocalypse-re-scheduled-616/

Well the real Mayan thing was between Dec 21 and 26 but the media shortened it so it would get more ratings no doubt. According to the mayans we ain't out of the woods yet and they never predicted the end of the world but the end of an age, the end of the world stuff was more media hype.

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:45 pm

HB, i've been trying to figure out where this end of the world stuff came from, and from going back and skimming through a lot of stuff, it seems some time ago the Mayan Calender got merged with the old Sumerian Nabrou thing about planet X. And it kind of grew from there. Neither the Mayans nor the other mentioned each other..... typical media stuff.

If the Mayan Calender ends and they don't really end the world then look to somewhere else for th answer.

From what I read about the Mayans they said that it was the end of an era and a new one would start, some of their old gods would return to help bring in a new age that would be better than the last.

Historically at the end of each of the long count calender segments there is usually some chaos, so this time it must be the end.

And a lot of the world went with it.... Christians are looking for the end in other ways it seems.

Seems to me that it's time to party, have some fun and keep close to the Lord.

Not planning for anything drastic, but there is that Sunday rumor thing.
Back to top Go down
BeyondBlessed
Love the forums!
Love the forums!

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:57 pm

otherone wrote:
HB, i've been trying to figure out where this end of the world stuff came from, and from going back and skimming through a lot of stuff, it seems some time ago the Mayan Calender got merged with the old Sumerian Nabrou thing about planet X. And it kind of grew from there. Neither the Mayans nor the other mentioned each other..... typical media stuff.

If the Mayan Calender ends and they don't really end the world then look to somewhere else for th answer.

From what I read about the Mayans they said that it was the end of an era and a new one would start, some of their old gods would return to help bring in a new age that would be better than the last.

Historically at the end of each of the long count calender segments there is usually some chaos, so this time it must be the end.

And a lot of the world went with it.... Christians are looking for the end in other ways it seems.

Seems to me that it's time to party, have some fun and keep close to the Lord.

Not planning for anything drastic, but there is that Sunday rumor thing.

Well, the last time it rolled over was 3114 BCE, so I'd like to know what we know about that date. I haven't heard about Sunday. The first time I remember hearing about this was in the early-90s when I was in elementary school and I remember thinking 'will I be alive in 2012?' and trying to figure out how old I'd be. I think all the hype came from the History Channel. I haven't seen much on the news at all regarding it.
Back to top Go down
otherone

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:36 pm

3114bc would be about 35 years before Adam died. Appx 760 years before the flood.
Back to top Go down
Historyb
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Wonder how old Adam was when Cain killed Abel. Could that be the incident the myans might be referring to without realizing it.

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:55 am

I don't think it could be. Seth was born when Adam was 130 and I think Able was killed before Seth was born.

We really don't know much about what happened before the flood. Might be when the watchers came unto the daughters of Adam. Enoch would have been about 270 years old. That, at best would be conjecture though, but it's the only thing I can think of that might be. Might fit in with thier old gods returning also. the Bible itself just doesn't talk about those times. The book of Jasher and Enoch might, but it's been too many years since I read either of those, and who knows how much trust one can put in either of those.
Back to top Go down
SherryW
Active
Active

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:59 pm

How old were Adam and Eve when they were thrown out of Eden?
Back to top Go down
otherone

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:50 pm

SherryW wrote:
How old were Adam and Eve when they were thrown out of Eden?

i have never seen an answer to that question that I could accept....
Back to top Go down
Historyb
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:43 am

Probably early age, maybe

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:08 am

That would be my guess, but we know so little from the Bible about those days.
Back to top Go down
SherryW
Active
Active

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:22 pm

So 3114bc could be a good probability then, right?
Back to top Go down
otherone

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:22 pm

SherryW wrote:
So 3114bc could be a good probability then, right?

A good probability for what????? I'm confused...

http://sam.evans.org/historylog.xls

This is something I put together for myself to be able to see who was alive when from the beginning.

The flood happened 1656 years after Adam was born, and I'm told that was about 2348 BC.

So Adam was created about 4004 bc according to the begats in Genesis and the encyclopedia saying the flood was in 2348bc. I haven't gone through and figured out where they come up with the 2348 though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mayans   

Back to top Go down

Mayans

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Apostolic Christian Forum :: General :: News from around the world-