Apostolic Christian Forum

Where Apostolic Christians (Anglicans, Catholics, Othrodox, etc). can fellowship

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome please read the rules before you register. Thank you

Share | 

Massive number of U.S. cities abandon Bible

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JesusLovesYou

PostSubject: Massive number of U.S. cities abandon Bible   Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:38 am

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/massive-number-of-u-s-cities-abandon-bible/#Dy8ZrjfokqDDmoMR.99
Back to top Go down
ahs
Honored Memebers
Honored Memebers

PostSubject: Re: Massive number of U.S. cities abandon Bible   Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:45 am

I'm not surprised by the results, and actually I think they are more positive than negative. There are a good many cities (the vast majority of those polled) where at least 20% or more of the populations is "Bible-minded", according to the study. That's a positive I think. If you treck back in time to just before the printing press, I don't think ANY city in ANY country would have had results like these. Most people could not read, and of those that could, the only Bibles in circulation were hand-copied...not exactly flying off the shelves at that slow pace.

I did not see where they compared the results to any past studies to show that the Bible was being "abandoned"...but I admit I only read portions and skimmed through others. It would be interesting to get teh feedback of someone who works at a Christian bookstore (or other store that also sells Bibles) and see what trends they have noticved. I would think that they are actually selling MORE Bibles, in genereal, than they were at some point in the past.

Anyway, I think they are stidyign the wrong thing. While I did not care for the comment of the guy that said some larger Bible-minded cities were mostly non-Christian in their values, I have to agree with him. Some of the major cities that showed to be Bible-minded also have a history of electing politicians who advocate non-Christian ideals such as abortion, euthanasia, same-sex-"marriage"...they guy does have a point. Is being "Bible-minded" enough? OR does our "Bible-mindedness" need to be accompanied by a willingness to actually accept what its says, even if it goes against our own desires? The study did not get into that detail, and I think it should have if it desired to show what it intedned to show.
Back to top Go down
krossquad

PostSubject: Re: Massive number of U.S. cities abandon Bible   Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:33 am

Greetings:

Thought One)Babylon was a city,fell from the East.

Thought Two/Buddha is seen in the lotus position,lots of kids watch TV in the lotus position.

http://www.squidoo.com/BuddhaPoses

by(e)carg
Back to top Go down
BeyondBlessed
Love the forums!
Love the forums!

PostSubject: Re: Massive number of U.S. cities abandon Bible   Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm really not trying to prove a point, but I thought the most Bible-minded cities sounded like the least-desirable places to live, so I looked at some other lists.

St. Louis, Detroit, Birmingham, and Atlanta are all exceptionally Bible-minded cities that are among the top 10 most dangerous cities in the nation.

Burlington, VT appears to be the least Bible-minded or tied for that position in the WND article and guess what? It is the number-one safest city in the country. Seattle and Portland are also among the safest, and check me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of the Bible-minded cities made the list. This list actually included cities with populations over 100,000 instead of just those over 250,000 so it means even more that those cities made the list.

I was going to look for a ranking on poverty rates, but I think it would be obvious at this point. I don't think anybody would argue the ties between poverty rates and violent crime.

So what does this mean? Are people in the Bible-minded cities praying for their lives while people in the least Bible-minded cities don't have a need for faith? Are the Bible-minded populations simply not impacting their communities? Why are so many Bible-minded cities in the south or cities with an otherwise sordid history? Is this trend the same in the rest of the world?

I think these Christians may be counting on God to make change rather than actually getting involved themselves and doing what they can.
Back to top Go down
JesusLovesYou

PostSubject: Re: Massive number of U.S. cities abandon Bible   Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Very interesting, BB. Good job!Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Massive number of U.S. cities abandon Bible   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1